Take a break from spending time indoors staring at screens, and head outside to breathe in some fresh air and restore your mind and body. When you go biking in Staunton, VA, you’ll have access to many excursions throughout the surrounding Shenandoah Valley and Allegheny Mountains.
For additional information on the best outdoor activities in the Shenandoah Valley, as well as top-notch restaurants, events, and attractions, refer to our complimentary Itinerary.
How to Enjoy Biking in Staunton, VA
Explore the Best Trails for Bike Riding
Staunton Bike Trails
- Staunton Polyface Ride (23 miles) – This ride gives you an excellent view of charming Staunton neighborhoods, as well as the rural countryside to the west. You’ll see views of farmland complete with cows and sheep and gorgeous rolling hills.
- Staunton Frog Pond Smoky Row (22 miles) – This route travels through scenic areas both east and west of Staunton. It includes a combination of sustained climbs and downhill glides. The ride begins and ends in downtown Staunton, where you can grab a bite to eat or a refreshing drink to recover.
- Staunton Badger Road Loop (45 miles) – This local ride is slightly more challenging and features two dramatic climbs. However, the outstanding sights of the Blue Ridge Mountains make it worth it.
Mountain Bike Trails Near Staunton
- The Southern Traverse (36 miles) – This route weaves through the George Washington National Forest and contains ascents of over 3000 feet. You’ll ride along the ridge of Shenandoah Mountains, as well as along peaceful country roads.
- Reddish Knob (19 miles) – Although it’s only 19 miles long, this is an advanced-level ride. You’ll climb 2900 feet up a ridge where you’ll be greeted with unparalleled views of the Shenandoah Valley to the east and West Virginia to the west.
- Shenandoah National Park – You can enjoy mountain biking along Skyline Drive and on paved areas in the park. However, cycling is not permitted on trails, unpaved roads, or grassy areas. You can find picturesque views at any time of the year when you visit, but you’ll experience the true beauty of Shenandoah National Park when you visit during autumn, and fall foliage is at its peak.
Ride With Top-Notch Equipment
Located in the Historic Wharf District in downtown Staunton, you’ll find your biking headquarters, Black Dog Bikes. This professional bike shop has been around since 2005, providing repair, service, accessories, and advice. They offer a wide range of bikes for adults and children at any level.
The Best Accommodations in Staunton
The Blackburn Inn & Conference Center exudes old-time charm while promising modern finishes, artful design, and superior hospitality. Our tranquil hotel is located just minutes from exciting downtown and delectable restaurants. We’re proud to provide our guests with opulent amenities, such as 24-concierge service, complimentary breakfast served daily, access to our pristine fitness center, and in-room luxury toiletries.
Here at The Blackburn Inn & Conference Center, our accommodations come in an array of sizes, so you’re sure to find exactly what you need. Our Deluxe Queen Rooms are outfitted with a plush queen-sized bed, lounge seats, a writing desk, a hospitality center with a mini-fridge, and a spacious bathroom. When you stay here, you’re sure to enjoy a solid night’s rest, especially after an adventure-filled day biking in Staunton, VA. To begin planning your trip, check our availability, and find the perfect guest room for you. We can’t wait to host you!